Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Daddy's (bad, boring, unimpressive, etc.) Preaching

May 9, 2006

Dear Katie,

Recently, you were sitting on my knee, and you said to me, "Daddy, I don't like your preaching." I responded, "Do you think you ever will?" You pondered my question for a few seconds and, with all the sincerity a child at the age of three could muster, stated, "No, I don't think so." Then, as I was about to ask why you don't appreciate my preaching, you pointed to the sky and said, "Look, Daddy, it's purple." Two things come to my mind as I ponder that dialogue:

1. You don't like Daddy's preaching, but you sure do love Daddy! For now, that's good enough for me!

2. I'm not that concerned about what you think of Daddy's style of preaching (although fewer 'ums' and 'uhs' would make for better communication, I'm sure!), but will pray fervently that you will be given a new heart that loves the Gospel I preach. Of course, I can't make that happen-I'll leave that one to the Author of salvation (see John 6:44). I'm reminded of the story Geoff Thomas (a pastor in Wales) tells about an interview some elders (pastors) of a church had with two teenage boys who were seeking to become members of that local church. The preaching elder, Douglas MacMillan, said, "Tell us what changes have taken place in your life that would lead us to believe you have been converted." One of the boys replied, "Oh, it was no change in us. The change was in you, about six months ago, when your preaching got interesting." Thomas used this story as an illustration of what happened to Lydia in Acts 16:14 (the Lord opened her heart to believe), and then concluded of these teenage boys, "Of course it was no change in Douglas' preaching. What had happened was that the Lord had opened their hearts at that time and then the preaching seemed more relevant, and the worship more enjoyable and Sunday was no longer a boring day." Sweet Katie, how I hope that one day Daddy's preaching, as long as it is the Biblical Gospel, will become interesting to you! I long and pray for the day when you look me in the eyes and say, "Daddy, I love the Gospel you preach!"

Until that day, I want you to know that today, the sky is blue.

Prayerfully,
Daddy

No comments: