Wednesday, July 19, 2006

8 Years and 1 Day

July 19, 2006

Dear Kids,

Yesterday, I intended to write to you about the 8th anniversary of your mother and me, but then I found out about a church member that is in very poor shape in a hospital in Columbus, so I made the trip to see him. Consequently, my schedule yesterday got a bit changed. As I’m sure you know by now, that’s a common occurrence in the life of a pastor!

So I have been married to your mother eight years and one day. I still cannot believe it. I still cannot believe that she even liked me. I cannot believe that she still likes me. Even more, she loves me. That alone is enough of a reason for me to never, ever doubt God’s grace in my life.

Eight years and one day, and I can say with all sincerity that I love her more today than on our wedding day. I knew then that she loved Christ, but over these past eight years I’ve witnessed her remarkable commitment to living according to the commandments of Scripture, a mark of a true follower of Jesus Christ (John 14:15; First John 2:3-6). I knew then that she loved me, but over these past eight years I’ve watched her die to self for my benefit in countless ways. I knew then that she was a patient and forgiving person, but eight years of my faults and sins have magnified the heart of love that God has given her. I knew then that she would be a terrific mom one day, but what I have witnessed these past almost four years could be documented and sold for the betterment of young mothers everywhere.

What I am saying about your mother is this: If every man on this earth was married to a woman like Patty, there would be happy and grateful men everywhere you looked! If your mother and I are still alive, would you please pray that God grants to us more grace and a deepening love for one another “for as long as we both shall live”? We would be grateful.

With Love,
Dad

No comments: