Monday, August 07, 2006

Thanks for the Laughs, Rap Star

August 7, 2006


Dear Katie,

I love those times we have together when we laugh so hard that tears come to our eyes. Such was the case recently as we 'rapped' into a microphone on your keyboard. I would 'rap,' and then you would start to 'rap,' but almost immediately get so tickled that 'rapping' became impossible. Then, I would start laughing hysterically, and it was utter insanity! It is no wonder Luke just looked at us in a daze!

However, as you know, life has not always been about 'rapping' and laughter in our house, has it? You have known of your father's discipline that has led to tears of a different nature. I trust you realize that both silliness and seriousness are not only appropriate but necessary components of parenting. I'm hopeful that I will always be a dad who spends quality time playing and laughing with you, but also a father who brings you up "in the discipline and instruction of the Lord" (Eph. 6:4). I'm learning to see that the two are uniquely intertwined: How could I ever discipline you in love, and why would you ever want to listen to me teach you the Bible, if I haven't also loved you through other more relaxed and even sometimes silly ways (like 'rapping'!)? Shortstop, would you please forgive me for the times I have fallen short of this Biblical balance and exasperated you (Eph. 6:4)?

And, by the way, thanks for the tears of joy!

Hoping Mommy didn't secretly record our 'rapping',
Daddy (Aaahhh YYYeeeaaahhh)

1 comment:

B.J. Maxwell said...

Ma Dawgs, ya'll off the chain and fashizzle in the Guysvizzizle. Peace out, Preacha'. Don't be a hata'.