Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Christ Fellowship of Kansas City & the Captain of Our Salvation

October 11, 2006
Dear Katie and Luke,
We told you recently that the Lord is leading us to Christ Fellowship of Kansas City in Missouri. Luke, your not quite two yet, so your reaction was not exactly one of shock and awe. Katie, you are four, so you did understand the concept to a degree, but I'm certain what is happening won't set in until we are actually packing up and then unloading in a different place. Perhaps by the time you are reading this, you will have heard some of the details about how God led us to KC, but I want to trace God's hand with you while the information is still quite fresh.
During a personal meeting with Mr. Elliff (he came to Ohio to preach a few days), there were a couple of passing statements made about moving out to KC. I eventually inquired about what exactly Mr. Elliff meant, and then said, "No thanks. We think the Lord would have us stay in Athens." About a month later, I met Mr. Wingerd at a conference, and we instantly had a great relationship... Hmmm? Well, I talked again with Mr. Elliff about moving out to KC, thought through some more details, and your mother and I decided to pray about going out there. Of course, the thought of leaving people in Athens that we dearly love weighed heavily on our hearts (It still does!), but we were willing to look into KC.
Soon, having spent much time in the Word and praying about our future, we began seeking out wise counsel concerning staying or going. We had many conversations with some of the dearest people in our lives, but perhaps the most significant conversation for your mother and me (together) was with Grandpa and Grandma Noble. We sat down, explained to them the situation, I coughed through the first half of our conversation (!), and then Grandpa gave us simple yet wise advice, "You need to go out there and meet the church and consider the ministry." Their wisdom extended beyond that statement, but I remember thinking that it was such a relief that they didn't look at us like we had lost our minds since Christ Fellowship is not "typical" in many respects.
The four of us went to KC, I stayed a few more days than you and your mom, and what a delight it was to meet the people (I actually got to preach for their corporate gathering, also). At first, we thought I would need to get a job and function bi-vocationally, but by the end of the week I didn't want to do that if we went out there. Instead, without your mother's presence, but through talking this through with the Elliff's and Mr. Wingerd, we considered the possibility of, basically, raising the support that we would need to live (both financial and prayerful).
Sounds like a good idea, right? Well, Mom didn't think so--I'm talking she was a 100% "No" to the idea of support raising. I was discouraged, because I really believed that the Lord was directing us out there. I began praying that Mom would change her mind if this was truly God's will. 24 hours later, she came to me and said, "I talked to my mom today, and I'm now 80% with you." I think her mom simply told her, "If this is God's will, the money will be there." 24 hours later, your mom was 100% with me. I don't think I will ever forget when, late one night, she officially said "Yes" to KC. My heart joyously raced, and I remember quietly thanking God for answering my prayer.
We just informed the church last week about KC, and within the past few days letters to potential prayer warriors and financial supporters have been sent. Next week, I will start to call people to see what they think and to potentially set up a meeting. Sometime in the future, KC will be our home, and Christ Fellowship will be our local spiritual family.
We recognize that some people will not understand our move, but the Captain of our salvation says, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? For what can a man give in return for his life? For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels" (Mark 8:34-38). If your mother and I were to seek the comforts and pleasures of this world, and if we had to live close to family because that makes life easier, and if we were simply content with a nice house in a friendly community with a good church, but yet refuse to follow Christ wherever He leads, then not only will we have set an awful example for you and have wasted our lives, but our personal salvation would be in doubt because what Jesus says in Mark 8 is not optional--He's speaking about what marks every true follower of His (v. 34), and the judgment (v. 38) that will come upon anyone who refuses to count the cost and surrender their lives to Him.
I hope this brief summary finds you, without compromise or the fear of man, loving and following Jesus. Oh, kids, I love you so very much!
Because of God's Grace,
Daddy

No comments: