Monday, January 05, 2009

Tears for Faithful

January 5, 2009

Dear Katie:

We have been reading Dangerous Journey together, a shortened version of Pilgrim's Progress, and you love it! I'm thrilled that you are so eager to read more, and hopeful the Lord will use it in your life.

Just two nights ago, we read chapter 6, "Vanity Fair." "Christian" and "Faithful" enter the town of "Vanity," and by the end of the chapter, Faithful is burned at the stake for his commitment to the truth, but here's what John Bunyan writes:
But I saw in my dream that, behind the crowds, there stood a chariot and horses waiting for Faithful, who (as soon as his enemies had done with him) was taken up into it, and wafted through the clouds to the sound of trumpets. So, in truth, he fared better than his friend, Christian. He would arrive first at the Celestial City, and, having been Faithful unto death, the King would give him a crown of life (pg. 79).

I read those words to you, and I couldn't keep the tears in. I know you didn't understand why. I tried to explain it to you, but God's grace and promises in Christ are not precious to you yet. I'm praying they will be one day soon.

That same night, I wrote a poem about the chapter and our experience with it. I titled it "Tears for Faithful," and I really hope you enjoy it.

With Love and Prayers,
Daddy
_________________________
"Tears for Faithful"

The fair was full of vanity,
Christian, Faithful, they soon would see.

Locals urged them to touch and love,
But no, their minds were fixed above.

Within a cage they found themselves,
Put there by those headed for Hell.

And then in court, indictments came,
"Faithful!" they railed, "The one we blame!"

Deceit and lies belched from their mouths,
Judgment would fall, there was no doubt.

"Hang him! Hang him!" they made their case.
But worse, they burned him at the stake.

You asked about what just transpired.
I said, "They set Faithful on fire."

But then the story takes a turn,
Faithful would live beyond the burn!

True to his name he faced the pain,
To live is Christ, to die is gain.

So when he died, he did not die,
To God on chariot he flies!

Sorrows, they ceased, and no more strife,
That day he wore the crown of life.

I could not hold my tears in tight,
They fell upon the book tonight.

You looked at me, a perplexed face,
I tried to speak of God's great grace.

The joy and awe that filled my heart,
I pray God soon to you imparts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now I'm crying. We pray daily for all our grandchildren that they would one day come to know our precious Saviour. His timing is perfect.
PTL
Grandma & Grandpa









tl