Monday, April 03, 2006

Sleeping Beauty

Dear Kids,

Someday, I will write a letter (maybe several letters) reminding you of why I married your mother. Today, I'll just share with you a brief story from the time when I was courting your mom and wondering whether or not she was "the one." I hope this story brings a smile to your face.

During college, your mother and I went for a weekend visit to Granddad and Grandma Burchett's. Mom and I were very excited about each other, but this weekend seemed to be an important couple of days in determining the future of our relationship... You see, this was going to be the first time that Mom spent around my extended family (Grandma's side of the family). There would be aunts and uncles and cousins, a very friendly bunch who truly enjoy getting together for a large meal and an extended time of sitting around chit-chatting. However, along with the genuine friendliness came strong opinions, sometimes heated banter, and occassionally ruthless teasing! How would your mom handle such a situation? What would your mother do in such a setting? What did she do? She slept! That's right, as the evening progressed, and the opinions started flowing, and the banter heightened, and the teasing persisted, I looked over at your mom on the couch and I couldn't believe her eyes-they were shut!!! So much for the pressure of meeting the extended family!

As I contemplated Sleeping Beauty, I thought to myself, "If she can come into this environment and be so comfortable that she's willing to take a nap, maybe there's something to this gal." There was, and there is! God has been so kind to me, kids, in giving me your mother.

With Love,
Daddy

6 comments:

B.J. Maxwell said...

Steve, Steve, Steve, Patty's from New Jersey. In "Joysee", what you call "heated banter" is a peaceful lullaby.

Steve Burchett said...

Very, very, very good point Pastor Barry. How could I have missed something so obvious?

Anonymous said...

Steve, I was going to send you a comment, and then I noticed BJs comment. Funny! Plus, remember the noise from our own Young family gatherings...rarely a quiet moment with Grandpa at the helm :)

Steve Burchett said...

Dearest Brenda,
Please forgive me for missing your comments (I read the other one as well). Life recently has been so full, I have neglected to keep up with those who are listening in to what I am writing to the kids (I haven't even written a letter for a couple of weeks). With that said, indeed, I have come to expect joyous occasions when your family gathers, with much chatter. Good point.

Amy R. Maxwell said...

Ah, our beloved Patty! I was going to write something really funny here, but my dear husband beat me to the punch! By the way . . . I think your blogging is GREAT!

Amy R. Maxwell said...

This is Amy, by the way!