Thursday, December 28, 2006

A Father's Compassion

Sitting at the breakfast table, you looked so helpless
Sipping on your O.J., you were stricken with an awful sickness.
I reached out to caress your head, hoping to briefly relieve my boy’s infection,
Then off to work I went with a heart full of a father’s compassion.

Driving away, I began contemplating a familiar verse
The one that says God gave His only Son to reverse the curse.
Soon a thought crossed my mind as I longed to be by your side,
“God the Father sent His Son to die!”

Though He loved Him from eternity past,
In His incomparable wisdom He sent forth this Utter Righteousness.
This is astounding love for sinners like you and me
God sacrificed and raised His Son, promising eternal life for whoever believes.

You will soon be back to normal, confident of this I am
But a spiritual sickness will remain, a sinful heart you inherited from Adam.
Unlike a common illness, this spiritual ailment is infinitely beyond me
Behold the love of God in giving His only Son—Repent and believe!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good, Your words comfort me as I suffer along side my children in sickness and in health. Poetry is a language God has given me to display His glory and my need to keep running and straining to work out salvation of God's doing.
Speaking of hymns, feel free to view new hymns God keeps feeding me to write. pgasongs.blogspot.com
And poetry at pgatkinson.blogsource.com

Steve Burchett said...

Thanks for writing, Preston. Actually, not only have hymns encouraged me toward poetry, but also reading your writings (come to think of it). In fact, this past Sunday the song we sang before the preaching was your very own "The Love of Christmas" (to the tune of "Living for Jesus"). I meant to write and tell you in an e-mail, but maybe this is better because some others might read this and be inspired to check out your blogs. Keep writing, brother. (BTW, is there anything that has helped you to stucture the poems your write?)

Anonymous said...

Wow, You filled my heart w/encouragement. That makes me wanna dance and love Christ more. I have had some positive feedback from that song. Many writings begin with just a few words or single truth that needs to be communicated. From that point a poem is written as I grasp for words that would capture the rythm and attention of the human heart. (like apologetics in poetry) As far as hymns go, I hear the whole think in my head and stay as close to scripture as rythm will allow. Two key things help more than anything. 1. Being still and listening. 2. Not watching the @&#N TV.

Steve Burchett said...

Thanks again, Preston.