Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Welcome, Lillian "Lilly" Marie

August 19, 2008
Dear Lilly:

I’ve been a little slow writing to you, I suppose (you were born June 29!). Our lives have been quite full since your arrival—you have much to do with that, and we are thankful to the Lord for it.


Your sister and brother have adjusted quite well to your presence. Katie is like a little mother to you, and Luke sometimes gets too rough with your fragile frame, but he thinks you are quite special.

Here’s a little bit of information about your great-grandmother, from whom we got your first name (Lillian... Your middle name is from your great-grandmother on Mommy's side, so you'll have to be sure and ask her about Great-grandma Dorothy Marie): Lillian McGuire was a jewel—humble, humorous and she normally didn’t even know it, a devoted mother and deeply committed wife, the best cook I’ve ever known, and most importantly a follower of Jesus Christ. I consider it one of the great privileges the Lord has ever granted to me to have spent some time living across the hallway from her in Granddad and Grandma Burchett’s home. She lived with them toward the end of her life, after your great-granddad went to be with the Lord. Why did I enjoy getting to live across the hall from her? She was a joy to be around. She was so selfless, and always ready to listen. Oh, and did I mention her cooking? We have such fond memories of her, and wanted to honor her memory by making her first name yours.

I love you, Lilly. I am determined to be a father to you, to care for you, to exhort you with God’s Word, to discipline you when appropriate, to repent and ask for your forgiveness when I fail you, to preach the gospel to you and show you that Christ is my all, to demonstrate before you a sacrificial love for your mother, and to pray for you very often.

Welcome to our home, Lillian Marie Burchett. You are a gift from the Lord.

And thank you, Lord, for another arrow in my quiver. Give us grace and strength to sharpen her well before this arrow leaves the bow (Psalm 127:4-5).

With Joy and Prayers,
Daddy

No comments: